Trains to Edinburgh
Why Book Trains To Edinburgh?
Centred around two streets: Princes Street in the Georgian New Town and the Royal Mile in the medieval old town, Edinburgh combines both ancient & modern architecture. Edinburgh Castle sits atop the Royal Mile and sights include the Royal Yacht Britannia, the Palace of Hollyrood House, the Scottish Parliament, National Galleries of Scotland and the Camera Obscura. Edinburgh is also THE city of festivals including the August Edinburgh Festival - a month long reign of madness and fun and the world-famous Hogmanay Celebrstions. If you're feeling energetic head to Arthur's Seat, just outside the city centre for panoramic views across the city, the surrounding countryside and the Firth of Forth.
Book Early for the cheapest trains to Edinburgh
Booking trains to Edinburgh in advance, could save you anything up to 80% on the usual cost of day of departure tickets. The cheapest tickets for trains to Edinburgh , known as advance type tickets normally become available around 12 weeks in advance of the date of travel. Take a look at how much you could save by booking trains to Edinburgh early.
|Journey||Walk up fare price*||Advance Ticket price*||Saving|
|Aberdeen-Edinbugh||£29.00||From Just £11.30||£17.70|
|Bristol-Edinburgh||£163.10||From Just £38.50||£124.60|
|Birmingham-Edinburgh||£127.50||From Just £16.00||£109.70|
|Cardiff-Edinburgh||£166.30||From Just £63.50||£102.80|
|London-Edinburgh||£125.80||From Just £19.10||£106.70|
|Manchester-Edinburgh||£64.30||From Just £16.00||£48.30|
|Newcastle - Edinburgh||£48.00||From Just £10.40||£37.60|
|Sheffield-Edinburgh||£112.60||From Just £34.80||£77.80|
|York-Edinburgh||£83.50||From Just £20.00||£63.50|
* Walk on fares shown are a mixture of super off-peak, off peak singles and anytime singles where off peak tickets are not available. Advance fares shown are all advance singles for standard class travel only available in advance and sold subject to availability.
Rail Routes To Edinburgh
Two major terminals, Edinburgh Waverley and Edinburgh Haymarket serve Edinburgh's city centre, with direct services from all over England and Scotland.
The majority of trains to Edinburgh from London run along the East Coast Mainline from London Kings Cross via York, Newcastle, Peterborough, Durham and Leeds and are operated by East Coast . Cross Country also runs direct trains from Plymouth travellling via Bristol , Birmingham, Derby, Sheffield and York. In addition to ScotRail's Popular sleeper train, services along the West Coast Mainline line from London Euston via Birmingham are operated by Virgin whilst First TransPennine runs services to Edinburgh from the North West of England.
Tips For Finding Cheap Trains To Edinburgh
1. Check our Cheapest Fare Finder
- If you're completely flexible with your travel times, our realtime cheapest fare finder tool is just the ticket to finding cheap trains to Edinburgh!
- Our cheapest fare finder tool searches a wider time frame than our ordinary search to flag up cheaper train tickets at different times of the day.
- Just click on the 'advanced options' tab on the bottom left hand side of the booking engine and select the option marked 'find the cheapest fares throughout the day'
2. Try Booking Split Tickets
- If there are no cheap advance rail fares on your route or you need flexible rail tickets, split ticketing or breaking the journey down into two or more smaller portions with a separate train ticket for each section could be the key to finding cheap trains to Edinburgh.
- In many cases you won't even need to leave the train. Split ticket savings are available on 100s of routes across the National Rail network and are not limited to specific rail journeys or to particular train companies.
3. Tips For Finding Cheap Trains To Edinburgh
- Cheap train tickets are only available in limited quantities and are sold on a first come, first served basis so if you know you're going to be travelling, plan ahead and book well in advance.
- Cheap train tickets are often available until 6pm the night before travel, so even if you've left it till to the last minute, cheap train tickets offering savings of up to 30% on the cost of tickets bought on the day, could still be on sale.
- Cheap advance train tickets normally limit you to travelling on the trains booked. Even if you can't commit to travelling on a specific train, avoid travelling in rush hour- travelling off peak is cheaper!
- If you don't mind travelling for longer for cheaper, try searching for slower/overtaken trains to find cheaper trains to Edinburgh
- If more than one company operates services along your route or there is more than one way to get to your destination e.g. going via, or avoiding London, comparing different train companies and different routes could save you £££s
So don't delay, check your route for cheap trains to Edinburgh with Raileasy today, planning ahead could save you a small fortune!